Monday, November 21, 2011

The beginning of our journey

Let me introduce us.  My name is Jessica.  My husband, Joe, will also blog on here.  Jacob is our 13 year old son.  He is the baby of our family.  He has two older sisters, and yes, they have names that start with "J" too.  We are an average American family.  I am a nurse and Joe is a middle school teacher.  One daughter is in college and one is in high school. Jacob is in 8th grade.  This blog is being created as a diary of sorts for our family.  You see, Jacob was recently diagnosed with IgA Glomerulonephritis and we want to track our journey with this. As with every journey, there is a beginning.  This is our beginning. 

It all started on a Thursday evening. October 27th, actually.  Jacob was doing well but he mentioned that he was starting to feel sick later in the evening.  Nothing major, just some dizziness, he said. 

Friday morning, he wasn't feeling too great, but wanted to try school so off he went.  By 8:30, I got a call from Jacob.  He had vomited (thankfully in the bathroom) and wanted to be picked up.  I picked him up and by the time we got home, he had a fever of 102.  Poor kid.  He rested most of the day, but would wake up to vomit frequently.  Just a stomach bug, we thought. 

Throughout Friday and Saturday, he continued to vomit.  We made sure we kept the fluids in him; whatever he would drink.  Gatorade (lemon-lime is his preference) was the main staple.  His fever fluctuated from 102-103.  He was pretty tired most of the days and often we would wake him to make sure he would take fluids.  I never treated his fever, other than with increased fluid intake and to let him sleep.  A fever is the body's natural response to an infection. Had his fever gone higher than 103, I would have given him some medicine to bring it down.  I learned that it was good I did not treat the fever.  I most likely would have used ibuprofen and that is not good for the kidneys.  I did give him some Zofran that he had left over from another stomach bug earlier in the year.  This helped some with the nausea so that he could keep drinking fluids.

By Sunday, his fever had gone down to 99-100 for the day.  He still remained fatigued most of the day, but was a little more active than the previous two days.  He was still vomiting, but it had slowed just a little.  I do not remember if he ate that day, but he did keep up drinking fluids.  During the whole time, I do not remember how much he ate, but I do not think it was much.  Maybe some breads.

On Monday his fever broke.  The kids did not have school and although the vomiting had decreased tremendously, I took him to the pediatrician.  A stomach bug had been going around so we got a refill of Zofran and went home.  He might have been able to keep down some food.  Poor kid missed trick or treating.  Luckily he had already decided not to venture out this year and just "let" me buy him some candy.  (smart kid)

Tuesday, he stayed home from school.  He was so weak that we just thought a day to recover would be best.  He vomited, but maybe only once or twice.  His appetite still was not the best.  The Zofran seemed to be working.  Still no fever. 

I have to state that this whole time, he was ALWAYS urinating.  This I made sure of.  He never went more than 6-8 hrs without peeing.  I even would ask if his urine was dark or lightening up.  Jacob is 13 years old.  I did not check every time he peed what his pee looked like.  I took his word for it.  He did tell me his urine was dark, but that is to be expected when you are vomiting.  I figured he was slightly dehydrated which is why I was pumping him of fluids in hope that he would retain some of them.

Wednesday.  He still wasn't feeling up to tackling school, so he stayed home.  Still no fever and he only vomited maybe once in the morning. I gave him Zofran maybe once in the morning.  Another thing to note.  Jacob did complain occasionally of his abdominal area being tender, but whose wouldn't with all the vomiting?!?  It was not tender in any one area, just generalized.

On Thursday he wanted to go to school.  He was still feeling weak, but felt well enough to go to school.  He even managed to eat a whole bowl of cereal which was a major accomplishment.  We gave him a dose of Zofran to keep the nausea at bay.  He made it though the school day and even managed to eat some lunch while there.  He was pretty tired when he got home from school though so I remember him sleeping some.  We almost made it 24 hrs without vomiting, but Thursday night, he vomited again. 

Friday he was determined to go to school.  So with a dose of Zofran and a small bowl of cereal, off to school he went.  When the pediatrician's office opened, I gave them a call because the doctor had said to call on Thursday if he wasn't really better.  Since he vomited Thursday night, I thought it best to call.  The nurse returned my call quickly and said that since he had vomited within the past 24 hrs that he could be considered contagious and should not be in school.  An appointment was made and I picked him up from school and back to the doctor's we went.  He was a little mad that I interrupted his school day.  At the doctor's office, he felt fine.  He was a little pale, as he was throughout the whole week.  The doctor decided to get a urine sample to check to see if he had a urinary tract infection (UTI).  Of course, Jacob did not have to pee at that time, but we took the cup home. 

About an hour after getting home, Jacob gave me the container.  Oh goodness!  His urine was the color of tea!  AND he said it was lighter than it was earlier in the week!  GREAT!  This was very concerning to me.  I took it to the doctor's office and went about finishing my errands while waiting for the doctor to call back.  Yeah, 10 minutes later I got a call.  There was so many red blood cells that nothing else could be tested at the office.  The doctor put in a call for some antibiotics in case it was a really severe UTI.  The urine would be sent off for a culture.  In Jacob's defense, he is 13.  What does he know about the imporatance of the color of urine?  Also, when you are peeing, it goes into a huge bowl of water.  It gets diluted. If you are not peeing a whole bunch, no matter how dark it looks, it is not going to look that dark when diluted.  In my defense, he is 13.  How many moms go in and watch their teen boy pee to see the color of it?  I took his word what the color of his pee is.  I made sure he was still peeing.  The end.

Ok, so he took two doses of the antibiotic, Bactrim, on Friday.  He also took Zofran.  No fever, but still vomiting.  The vomiting actually increased. 

By Saturday morning, he was still vomiting and this marked the beginning of day nine of vomiting and it was getting worse.  His pediatrician called us to check on Jacob and we decided to take him to the emergency department of a local children's hospital. 

This is really only the beginning.  At this point, I am thinking he had a stomach bug and was so dehydrated that he was now vomiting because his stomach was not used to having food in it.  Jacob has had a sensitive stomach for a little while now (maybe a year).  Joe and I thought that he would get some IV fluids and maybe spend the night to get some additional IV fluids and then be sent home.  We never in our wildest dreams would have thought our baby boy would have been diagnosed with a kidney disease.

No comments:

Post a Comment